Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hope in an IV bag

The past week has been tough.  I've spent much of it in bed, curled backwards from the spasms.  I alternate between sitting propped up on pillows to laying on my side and hugging my body pillow.  My heating pad has been my best friend.

Last week the doctor started me on a trial of Valium.  It hadn't worked when I tried with in the past, but things can change, so I agreed to try it again. Valium lasts longer than Ativan, so it is preferable in that sense.  On a tiny dose of Valium (only 2 mg) I was feeling like a zombie.  I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to drink much, I didn't care to do much but lay there.  I was exhausted but couldn't sleep.  Adam tried calling the doctor but couldn't get through.

Today we got through to the on call doctor, and he said to go off the Valium.  He knew exactly what I was talking about by feeling like a zombie - he had had the same reaction to the medication.  So for now, it is Ativan, Flexeril, Tramadol, and Benadryl if i need it to sleep. He also mentioned that the doctor put in a request for approval on IVIG and plasmapheresis.  We did our own homework and it is covered, but we still need approval for the expensive treatments. 

So, somethings are better, others are in a sort of stasis.  I am not sure if I can finish this semester, or if I need to file for an incomplete.  I'm going to really look at it tomorrow to make a decision.  If I do go through with either of the infusions, I may not have the energy for the first few rounds, and I'll need the rest.

If you're the praying type, please pray for the healing that my body needs.  Prayers are also requested for my brother in law, who is suffering from a nasty skin infection.  Last but definitely not least, please pray for those affected by the earthquake and subsequent events and damage in Japan.  What a horrible tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...