Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Holiday Shopping Guide - IslaNewYork

This past week has been a little crazy at la casa Jordan.  This week I'll be playing catch up, so you'll get treated to a new shop every day.  Enjoy and happy shopping!

Today's feature is IslaNewYork.  Her gorgeous store shows off her awesome seamstress skills and eco-friendly fabrics. She uses a combination of soy jersey, bamboo jersey and organic cotton jersey.  I'm a sucker for a soft bamboo fabric!
How did you get started crafting?
I started with smaller projects. I made little pouches, hair accessories and embellished pre-made clothing items before I started Isla New York. Earlier this year, around March, I decided to expand and do what I have always dreamed of, which was starting my own fashion company.

Why did you decide on Isla New York for your business name?
I decided on "Isla New York" for several reasons. Simple, I really like the way "Isla" just rolls of your tongue. But "Isla" also means "Island". Having grown up in the Philippines (a country with over 7,000 islands!) and now living in Manhattan, I figured that Island was a good way to start my first company :)

 

Do you have a muse?
Hmm... I don't necessarily have a muse. I get inspired from a lot of different sources, books, colors, events, but not necessarily one particular person.

Do you take custom orders?
I do take custom orders! Almost all of my pieces come in a variety of colors, so you can always chose which color and size you'd like. And while I haven't had anyone ask me to do a particular design, I'm always open to work with a customer to achieve what she (or he!) would like.

What does a typical day look like for you?
A typical day starts at around 9:30 AM. Every day I try to push it a little bit earlier, but it's slow going when the sun isn't as bright now! I then do computer until around lunch time. I'm blogging, twittering, updating my fan page,  and participating in the etsy forums. I find that all these different social networking sites are VERY useful when you have a question or if you want to extend the reach of your brand.

 

Where would you like to go with your business?
 I'm currently speaking with some brick and mortar stores. I'd ideally like to start supplying several stores around the country (if not around the world!) with my designs. I'd like to take Isla New York to a level where I can completely sustain myself on income from my clothing label :) A girl can dream!

What is one strange or funny thing you'd like to share with us?

Most of my pictures I take myself. There's a plain white wall next to bed. Across from the wall is a tall dresser. When I take pictures and pose with the clothes, I stack books on the dresser till I achieve the right height, press the 10 second self timer, and then run, jump up on my bed, pose against the white wall! It doesn't seem like it from the picture, but it's quiet hectic! You should see me on days when I have multiple listings. It's constant running back and forth between setting the timer on the camera and running to the wall to pose!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...