Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Shopping Guide - ToBoldyFold


 
Today's feature is ToBoldyFold, a shop that makes absolutely gorgeous, hand-bound leather journals.  Melissa handcrafts each journal in Boston, Massachusetts.  The journals are produced  in collections of 25 books, each unique and handcrafted.  Leather journals are a wonderful gift for anyone on your list.  Poets, artists, travelers, and keepers of  personal journals especially love hand-bound leather books.  You can also visit Melissa at her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and of course her website. Happy shopping!


How did you get started crafting?
I've been an artist all my life. I was brought to a lot of museums as a kid, and was very much inspired by them. I was encouraged to create things with my hands, and from there I never stopped.

Why did you decide on To Boldly Fold for your business name?
It came from a lot of brainstorming. I wanted a strong name that would talk about paper but also be quirky.

Do you have a muse?
My muse is nature. I'm constantly amazing by the patterns, colors, and the intricate ways in which nature fits together.



Do you take custom orders?
Of course!

What does a typical day look like for you?
I work three days a week, so on the days that I'm in the studio, I pack in as much as possible. I start my day off on etsy. I post a new book every morning. Then I build books for the rest of the day. Depending on what stage of production I am on, I either tear down paper, fold or punch holes in sections, cut leather, sew, or do finishing touches like buttons. I also tend to set one day a week away for photo shoots.



Where would you like to go with your business?
I'd love to make it a full time production. I love what I do, and would like to make it more than just a part time venture.

What is one strange or funny thing you'd like to share with us?
I love snail mail.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...