Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rough Start

What a week this has been.  Last night I finally broke down crying.  I had been stoic until that point...just, detached.  Last night it hit me.  Emma started crying, I was crying, and at some point I think Adam was crying, too.  All of that fear and grief over losing so many little lives came out.  It felt good to let it out, and we did.

We're at five little chickies now.  One was acting lethargic last night, but she survived and is fine.  Poor thing was probably just tired.  I noticed some "pasty butt", and spent a little bit of time cleaning their tushies.  If dried poop gets stuck on their butt feathers, they won't be able to pass waste and will eventually die.  After getting them clean I used a q tip to rub a little olive oil around their vents.  So far, so good.  I haven't seen any pasting since. 

This morning I woke up to find five little fuzzy butts taking a nap.  You can't help but smile.  They are too stinking cute.  As far as filling out our coop with ladies...I gave Adam a wish-list from a local hatchery.  Maybe I'll get some for my birthday. :)



IMG_8680

IMG_8676

IMG_8673

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...