Monday, April 4, 2011

Fences, Veggies, and Jewelry

This weekend was a blur of gardening and fence building.  I sat in the garden beds and pulled weeds for hours, which in retrospect was a BAD idea.  I worked for about four hours, took a nap, and woke up so sick to my stomach.  Adam and the neighbors managed to get the old fence down, and my dad helped Adam pick up lumber and cement.  Most of the holes are dug, and the poles just need to be leveled and cemented.  Next Saturday we'll get the pickets up and have a shiny, new fence.  I think I might miss the wide open space.  It makes our yard look HUGE. ;)

We also got some of our veggies in the ground.  I bought 11 tomatoes, mostly romas, some heirlooms, and a couple that will be good for slicing.  We also got a few kinds of squash, some cucumbers, and three bell peppers.  I need to find some lemon cucumbers, though.  I LOVE lemon cucumber wedges with a little sea salt sprinkled on top. Lemon cucumbers are not available in stores, so growing them is the only way to get any.  We also got a big flat of marigolds and lady bugs for pest prevention.  Right now, the debris from the fence is stacked in front of the shed.  It is serving the purpose of killing the grass for me the easy way.  Once we get that cleared, I'll be planting a three sisters garden there.

This weekend also brought the arrival of my medical alert bracelets.  Considering the oddball diagnosis and the risks of suddenly stopping medication, I decided that it would be best to wear a medical id.  I joined Medic Alert because they allow you to input your pertinent medical information online, and you can change it at any time.  This includes my conditions, medications, my doctor's contact info, and emergency contacts.  In the off chance that I'm a goner, it also states that I'm an organ donor.  I ordered two bracelets - one with teal writing, and one with white writing.  They're inscribed "Stiff-Man Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Allergic - Sulfa, Tetanus Vaccine."  Hopefully I'll never need it, but I feel better having them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...